(August 5, 2020) Jimma University conducted a memorial ceremony in honor of the late Artist Haacaaluu Hundeessaa. The half day memorial event was conducted at Artist Hacaaluu Hundeessaa Civic Center in Jimma University main campus at the presence dignitaries, University presidents, the Artist’s family members, JU community and invited guests.
Dr. Jemal Abafita, President of Jimma University, in his opening remark at the event, extended his call for sustaining Hacaaluu’s legacy of living for people rather than dwelling on the painful and untimely loss of the hero. The President has also made public the initiatives the University has taken to honor the beloved artist’s contribution, among which the following are the main:
- naming the University’s state-of-the-art Civic Center in his name as “Artist Hacaalu Hundessa Civic Center”. And this center will serve as venue for Public Debates, Dialogues, Artistic Performances, Cultural shows targeted at which developing civic engagement and intercultural dialogue.
- awarding competitive talent scholarship on arts in his name “Haacaaluu Talent Scholarship” to which it dedicated half a million budget every year.
- establishing “Hacaaluu Hundeessaa Foundation” which will incubate youth talent and sustainably support his children. The scope of the foundation is said to embrace National and International partnership.
- dedicating a special issue of Gadaa Journal, a multi-disciplinary journal of the Institute of Oromo Studies, to publish articles focusing on Hacaaluu Hundeessa’s contributions.
- holding a regular forum on Oromoo Art in the name of Hacaaluu at the Institute of Oromoo Studies
Following the President’s address three papers focusing on the historical role of art in Oromo struggle, the role of Hacaaluu’s lyrics, and his contribution towards the advancement of Oromoo music were presented by scholars from History, Literature and Music disciplines at the University. Following the presentations fruitful discussion on the issue of sustaining the artist’s legacy was conducted.
In his closing remark, Dr. Kenenisa Lemmi, V/ President for Administration and Students’ Service has reiterated that JU will be committed in incubating young talents to shine like Hacaaluu by way of which his legacy is to be sustained. The event was concluded with the lighting of candles in loving memory of the artist.