The Center for One Health Research, Training and outreach (JUCOH) was launched at Jimma University in April 2023. The center was established with the support of USAID through African One Health University Network (AFROHUN), Ethiopia. JUCOH intends to strengthen and institutionalize one health activities that have been implemented for more than a decade by One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA), recently rebranded to Africa One Health University Network (AFROHUN) Ethiopia with the support of USAID. JUCOH intends to generate and share scientific knowledge on the understanding and application of One Health concept in research, training, education, advocacy and outreach services. The goal of JUCOH is to improve the health of humans, animals and ecosystems through capacity building, strengthening of local, regional and global networks and provision of evidence-based policy advice on One Health in Ethiopia and beyond.
The vision of JUCOH is to be the leading center of excellence in One Health (OH) research, education, training and outreach services in the country for achieving optimal health for humans, animals and their shared environment.
The mission of JUCOH is to conduct trans-disciplinary research, education, training and outreach services to prevent, detect and respond to globally emerging, re-emerging, and resurgent diseases
To promote the health and wellbeing of humans, plants and animals and their shared environment through collaborative, multi-sectoral and trans-disciplinary One Health approach
- Build a trans-disciplinary One health workforce in Ethiopia
- Strengthen OH in the System and research capacity
- Enhance collaboration and partnerships with other national and international agencies to deliver the provisions of Global Health initiative
- Strengthen Ecosystem based approach (Socio-ecological resilience) to address one health challenges
- Conduct high quality-scientific research on policy-relevant topics within the context of one health