Background and Evolution
The Mycobacteriology Research center of Jimma University was established in 2013 taking into account the Mycobacteriology lab as the main facility. The mycobacteriology lab was established as part of IUC-JU collaborative research project between Jimma University and consortium of Flemish Universities from Belgium. Cognizant of the evolution in the country, the idea of establishing mycobacteriology Level III laboratory at Jimma University was initiated by Flemish University Professors from Belgium (mainly from Institute of Tropical Medicine in Antwerp and University of Antwerp) in 2009 to support the PhD projects that were ongoing as part of IUC-JU collaborative research project. The lab became operational in 2010.
The Center’s activities are mainly focused on basic research, training and service in the field of Mycobacteria (M. tuberculosis, M. leprae and B. Ulcer). The research component of the center is mainly on basic and applied research, which ranges from optimization of detection methods to molecular level research. The laboratory is also open for training on mycobacteriology techniques up on request by academic departments at different colleges Jimma University and other stakeholders.
The Mycobacteriology Research Center aspires to be center of excellence in mycobacteria and related diseases research in the African region and known in the world.
The mission of the Center is to contribute to the holistic development of the country by advancing excellence in mycobacteria and related research through integration of research, training and service. Hence, it undertakes multidisciplinary studies, training and service.
- To undertake advanced basic and applied research with regard to Mycobacteria.
- Serve as local, regional and international reference and collaborative center for Mycobacterial investigations.
- To help /support the diagnostic and treatment service/quality of the care for humans and animals.
- To collaborate on joint research projects with different partners at different levels (national and international organizations)
- To provide short and long term trainings in mycobacteria in collaboration with partners at different levels (national and overseas organizations) to strengthen quality of diagnosis, prevention and control of mycobacterial diseases in humans and animals.
- To assist in the development of health policies, guidelines and products essential for diagnosis, treatment, prevention and control of mycobacterial diseases.
- To initiate and secure local and foreign research grants and donations.
- To disseminate research findings to different stakeholders.
The lab is equipped with technologies capable of cultivation different mycobacterial strains, detection and characterization. Some of the state of the art equipment plat forms include BACTEC MGIT 960 TB detection system for both identification and drug resistance testing, geneXpert with 4 module, fluorescent microscope, -80 degree celcius deep freezer, refrigerated ultra-speed centrifuge and incubators.
Technologies/units to be available
Mycobacterial Immunology facility
Animal Studies facility
The center is providing referral service through its Mycobacteriology Laboratory which is the referral center for South West part of Ethiopia mainly for MDR-TB diagnosis and treatment follow-up. Moreover, trainings to undergraduate and postgraduate students from different colleges are being provided.
Achievement so far
The facility in the center has become functional in 2010. Since then it was strongly involved in research, service and training. The center has good collaboration with HEAL-TB Ethiopia and Ethiopian Public Health Institute (EPHI). So far,2 PhD projects and 7 MSc thesis projects were completed at the facility. Currently 3 PhD research projects and 2 MSc research projects are underway. Moreover 4 staff research projects funded locally by Jimma University and 3 other collaborative are underway at the laboratory.
Mululaem Tadesse (BSc, MSc, PhD Fellow)
E-mail; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Gemeda Abebe (BSc, MSc, PhD)
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org