Name: Yosef Deneke Belachew
Place of Birth : Adama(Nazereth) , East Shewa
Date of birth : Nov. 4,1968
Marital status: Married and father of a son and a daughter
Phone: +251 917804529
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
· Elementary Education, Number 2 Primary School , Adama(Nazareth) Adama Wereda,
· High school Education Gelawdeos Comprehensive High School. Adama(Nazareth) Adama Wereda,
· College Education in Jimma College of Agriculture ,Jimma, Graduation: Diploma in General agriculture with Honor
· Employed as graduate assistant at Jimma College of agriculture
· Preparatory Language courses for the German Universities in the field of Veterinary medicine and Agriculture at Herder institute, University of Leipzig
· Study Veterinary Medicine in the Faculty of Veterinary , Medicine University of Leipzig , Germany, Graduation: DVM degree
· A one year training course in Tropical Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine , Free University of Berlin, Germany, A quarterly year of practical and project work on Tropical Veterinary Medicine in Ethiopia. Graduation: A one year Certificate on Topical Veterinary Medicine
· Study of Animal Biotechnology at Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar,Haryana, India. Graduation: MVSc in Animal Biotechnology, with Division First class Minor Subject: Veterinary Gynecology and Obstetrics, Supportive: Veterinary Immunology
· PhD Scholar at Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI) Deemed University in the Division of Veterinary Biotechnology, Izatnagar, Bareilly, India Graduation: PhD degree in Animal Biotechnology, with Division First class Minor Subjects : 1) Veterinary Immunology and 2) Veterinary Physiology Thesis Work for MVSc in Animal Biotechnology: “Vitrification of Buffalo oocytes and their poet-Thaw potential for in Vitro fertilization” Thesis Work for PhD research in Animal Biotechnology: “ Cloning and Expression of LigB gene of Leptospira pomona and evaluation of the recombinant protein as a diagnostic antigen”
Full time Scholarship in the former German Democratic Republic to study DVM in the
University of Leipzig, Germany
MVSc scholarship in Animal Biotechnology,in CCS, HAU, Hisar, Haryana, India
PhD Scholarship in Animal Biotechnology, IVRI, Barielly, UP, India
Certificates of Training Attained:
Ø A one Year Training in Tropiecal Veterinary Medicne, Free University of Berlin, Germany
Ø Training Course on Immunological Diagnostic Methods at Department of Immunology at Robert von Oestertag Institute , Berlin.
Ø Training Course on tse tse and trypanosomiasis biology , diagnosis, and control; methods at NTTICC in Bedelle,by MOA, July 2001.
Ø DNA Based Diagnostics at the Department of Animal Biotechnology, College of Veterinary Medicne , CCS Haryana Agriculture University, Hisar, India
Ø Course on “ Designing of Experiments, Data Analysis using SAS, and Publishing inScientific Journals. Nova Scotia Agricultureal College at JUCAVM, April 14-23 2008.
ØTraining on “ On Silico Approach for Genome Analysis” in Bioinformatic Center, Indian Veterinary Research Institure , India, March, 2012.
Ø Course on Entrepreneurship and Value Chain Management , By McGill, JU and DALHOUSIE at JUCAM , December 2-13, 2013.
ØTraining on Transformational Leadership by Ethiopian Management Institute held at Jimma University (March 3-6, 2015).
ØTraining on “ Molecular Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases”. At The Ohio State University – Ethiopia Partnership, One Health Summer Institute in The University of Gondar, Ethiopia. From July 21 – 25, 2015.
Ø Training on Research and Dvelopment of Project proposal writing, By McGill, JU and DALHOUSIE at JUCAM , February 3-9, 2016.
Ø Attending International Conference on Aquaculture and Food Security: Defining potential opportunities for the development of Aquaculture in Ethiopia. In Jimma, JUCAVM, April, 14 – 16, 2016.
Ø Attending the Creating an online Learning Course at OSU – Ethiopia Partnership, One Health Summer Institute at EPHI , Ethiopia June 26 –28, 2017.
Ø Attending Regional Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) Research and Training a Capacity Workshop, at OSU – Ethiopia Partnership, One Health Summer Institute at EPHI , Ethiopia June 29 –30, 2017.
ØAttending a German Alumni – Workshop on “ Mitigating Climate Change and Environmental Pollution in East Africa as a Contribution of sustainable development”. September, 3 to 7, 2018 and Sept. 2 to 6 2019.
ØTraining on HDP, 2011 EC.
Technical Assistant Departement of Animal sciences in Jimma College of Agriculture , Jimma (1986).
Lecturer on Animal Health and sanitation in Jimma College of Agriculture Jimma University, Jimma Ethiopia (1997)
Founder and Head Faculty of Veterinary Medicine an Lecturer of Veterinary Physiology I and II in JUCAVM, Jimma, Ethiopia. (2002- 2003, 1994-1996 EC)
Head Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Department of Animal Sciences in JUCAVM, Jimma Ethiopia (01/2004 – 06/2004).
Assistant Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, JUCAVM, Jimma Ethiopia ( June,2007- July 2009)
Since October, 2014: Associate professor of Microbial Biotechnology and diagnostic immunology
Having a total of 23 years service and experience.
Course offered : UG Program
Ø Intrduction to Molecular Biology , Veterinary Immunology, Animal biotechnology, Veterinary Physiology I and II
Current Instructor on : MSc students
Advanced Molecular Biology both MSc Animal Biotechnology ,
Applied Veterinary Immunology and Molecular
Laboratory Diagnostics Method in Veterinary Public Health
Genetic Engineering and Transgenic Animals MSc Animal Biotechnology
Advanced Genetics for
Animal Biotechnology Ansc for MSc ANPR
Reproductive Animal Biotechnology for MSc AnBG
Guest Lecture On:
Ø Animal Biotechnology MSc Program in Animal Production – Debere Markos University
Ø Advanced Animal Physiology : PhD Program in Animal Nutrition Arba Minch University
ØBiotechnology in Animal Breeding (ANGB 532). For MSc Animal Breeding, Haramaya University
Undergraduate : Supervised 31 students during their DVM thesis work
Postgraduate : Supervised 23 MSc students where 20 students have already defended and having 9 new MSc students to advise.
Reviewer of Journal of Virology- Bioinformatics Publication
Reviewer for Journal of Veterinary Medicine and animal health
Manuscript Evaluation Journal of Parasitology and Vector Biology
Manuscript Evaluation African Journal of Biotechnology
Reviewed a number of MSc student proposal and terminal reports at SVM, JUCAVM
Reviewer of staff concept notes and research proposals
Reviewer of staff concept notes and research proposals
Founder and Head Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and Lecturer of Veterinary Physiology I and II in JUCAVM, Jimma, Ethiopia. (2002- 2003, 1994-1996 EC)
Since Oct.19/2006 EC (2013- Jan, 2020): Dean of Students, Coordinator of the Student Service Office at JUCAVM and Member of Student Discipline Committee.
Case Team Leader Veterinary Microbiology and Immunology
Co-developer MSc program in Veterinary Epidemiology
Coordinator MSc Program in Veterinary Microbiology
Chair , development and Coordinator of MSc curriculum Animal Biotechnology
Founding member of FVM and technical committee member of organizing specification for Lab equipments for 5 newly opend FVM
Technical committee member for establishment of teaching laboratories at JUCAVM
Open Forum for Agricultural Biotechnology Ethiopia West Node Secretariat Member
Head of Veterinary Section in Agricultural Development Office, Oromia Regional State, Yayu, Illuababora, Ethiopia (Nov. 1997 – 1999)
Head of Veterinary Section in Agricultural Development Office, Oromia Regional State, Atinago,Jimma Ethiopia( 1999- 2002)
RESEARCH AND PUBLICATIONS :
² COMPLETED RESEARCH PROJECTS :
1) Title of the Research proposal: Study on serological, molecular characterization and vaccine preparation from infectious bursal disease virus (IBDV) circulating in South West Ethiopia poultry farms ( Jimma University funded)
2) Title of the Research proposal: Serological, Virological and Molecular detection of Bluetongue in Ethiopia . (Jimma University funded) Collaboration: National Veterinary Institute (NVI), Debere zeit, Ethiopia
A) Sukdeb Nandi (BVSc, M.V.Sc, Ph.D Virology, Principal Scientist), Head, Virus laboratory, Center for Animal Disease Research and Diagnosis (CADRD), Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), 243 122, Izatnagar, Uttar Pradesh, India
B) Giovanni Savini (Ph.D. Virology, Professor), Head, OIE Bluetongue Virus referral Lab., Istituto G. Caporale Teramo, Via Campo Boario, 64100 Teramo, Italy. Seroprevalence and associated risk factors of contagious bovine pleuropneumonia in selected district of Keffa zone South West EthiopiaCollaboration with National Animal Health Diagnosis and Investigation enter (NAHDIC)
4) Research Title : Isolation and Molecular Screening of Pathogenic E. coli Strains, their Antibiogram and Associated Risk Factors from Diarrheic Calves in Dairy Farms and Diarrheic Children Admitted to Public Health Institutions in Jimma Town South West Ethiopia. (Collaborative Research Institute of Biotechnology AAU)
5) Research Title : Seroepidemiology of Peste des Petits Ruminants in sheep and goats in Bench Maji Zone, South Western Ethiopia Collaboration with National Animal Health Diagnosis and Investigation Center (NAHDIC)
6) Project Title: Serological investigation of Bovine Viral diarrhea (BVD) infection among Dairy cattle in Jimma Town, South West Ethiopia ( Jimma University Funded)
7) Research Title : Isolation rate, Antibacterial Susceptibility Patterns and Contributing Factors of Pathogenic Bacterial Isolates from Mastitis Dairy Cows of Tiro Afeta District.
8) Research Title : Iisolation, Identification, Antibiogram Profile Study, Molecular Detection of Pathogenic E. coli Strains and Their Associated Risk Factors From Diarrheic Calves in Dairy Farms and Diarrheic Children Admitted to Health Institutions in Wolaita Sodo Town. (Collaborative Research Institute of Biotechnology AAU)
9) Research Title : Phenotypic, Characterization And Antimicrobial Sensitivity Pattern Of Listeria Monocytogenes Isolate From Meat Of Bovine At Abattoir ,Butcher Shops Of Jimma Town, Ethiopia. ( Jimma University funded)
10) Research Title : Isolation and Molecular Characterization of Pathogenic Strains, Their Antibiogram and Associated Risk Factors of Escherichia coli Isolates From Diarrheic Calves in Bahir Dar City Dairy Farms, North West Ethiopia.(Collaborative Research Institute of Biotechnology AAU)
11) RsearchTitle: Molecular Characterization of Ethiopian Honeybees (Apis mellifera) . ( Jimma University funded)
12) RsearchTitle: Serological investigation of Leptospirosis and its Associated Risk Factors in Dairy Cattle in and around Jimma, Jimma Zone, South Western Ethiopia. (Jimma University funded)
² ONGOING RESEARCH PROJECT:
13) RsearchTitle: Experimental study on prophylactic effect of medicinal plants on Rabies virus. (Jimma University funded)External Collaborator: Ethiopian Public Health Institute
Published and co-authored fifty five journal articles in reputable international and national journals.
Published two books out of original research works
Gene Sequence Published in Gene Bank : Brucella abortus strain 19 6,7-dimethyl-8-ribityllumazine synthase 2 (pq17) gene, complete cds, GenBank: KJ702467.1
edited by Umesh Singh, Rajib Deb, Sushil Kumar and Arjava Sharma
Editorial: Satish Serial Publishing House, 2012
ISBN 10: 9381226296 / ISBN 13: 9789381226292
Chapter 8. Bovine tuberculosis: An overview/Yosef Deneke.
– Co-developer of One Health Risk analysis Module for OHCEA used for cental and eastern African countries
ÁTechnology Developed: which can be used for the community as a pen site diagnostic tool for zoonotic leptospirosis
Ø Development of recombinant LigB based latex agglutination test diagnostic methods
Ø Standardization and evaluation of Enzyme Linked Immuno-sorbent assay based on recombinant LigB protein for the diagnosis of zoonotic leptospirosis
Abstracts and Presentations:
Ø Vitrification of buffalo oocytes and their post-thaw potential for in vitro fertilization. In SAPI
silver jubilee and International Conference on Physiological Capacity Building in Livestock
Under Changing Climatic Scenario. 11th– 13th November, 2010, IVRI, Izatnagar, Bareilly,
Ø Effect of FCS or BSA as supplement in Maturation media on vitrification of in vitro matured
buffalo oocytes. Fourth Congress of Federation of Indian Physiological Societies. Re-
engineering Physiology Research and Training in the New Biology Era, January 11-12,
Ø Cryopreservation of buffalo oocytes by vitrification and their post-thaw potential for in vitro
fertilization. Book of Abstract The Fifth Annual Research Conference of.Jimma University
February 6-7, 2014
Ø Seroprevalence and associated risk factors of Infectious Bursal Disease of Chicken in
Jimma and Bonga Districts, South Western Ethiopia. Book of Abstract 8th Annuanl
Research Conference of Jimma University. April 27 – 28, 2017.
Ø Bovine Brucellosis: Seroprevalence and its Potential Risk Factors in Smallholder
Dairy Farms in Hawassa Town, Southern Ethiopia. 3RD OHCEA INTERNATIONAL ONE HEALTH CONFERENCE Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala – Uganda, 24th-26th July 2019
Ø Serodiagnosis of Leptospirosis Employing Recombinant LigB Based Latex
Agglutination Test. 3RD OHCEA INTERNATIONAL ONE HEALTH CONFERENCE Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala – Uganda, 24th-26th July 2019
Participate in CBTP as a supervisor in Dedo woreda,1n 2008EC and involved in wariness creation about major animal diseases and cattle crash construction
Assigned as CBTP supervisorin 2009 EC in Merewa, where we rendered a vaccination service to the community
Assigned as a supervisor in integrated DTTP program involving public health and veterinary professionals in Seto-Semero Kebele, Jimma town, 2010EC
Involved as a supervisor for DTTP at JUCAVM 2012 EC
Provided professional vet service to the Income Generation Unit at JUCAVM
Supported the Ethiopian Grand Renaissance Dam
Professionally involved in the development initiatives of Merewa Monastery
Involved in community mobilization activities to vaccinate dogs against rabies during OH
student attachment twice from July, 15 – 20, 2010 & 2011EC
Donation of various reference books three times to JUCAVM Library which were donated to me by DAAD.
Served as t reviewer of PhD curriculum in Animal Biotechnology at Mekelle University –in 2011 EC.
Provide training on Brucellosis case identification and management for animal and human health professionals in priority zoonotic disease control and prevention CDC-JU project
Lifelong member of Family Guidance Association of Ethiopia
Provide veterinary service at open air clinic at JUCAVM
Member of The Ethiopian Veterinary Association, Ethiopian Society of Microbiology and American \Society of Microbiology
Served as guest leturer for Animal Biotechnology, Msc Program Debre-Markos University
Saved as guest lecturer for Advanced animal Physiology-PhD program Arbamich University
Participate on policy formulation and proclamation review for Animal health and Veterinary Public health national document preparation in 2009 EC
Participate nationally on the e development of OH Policy brief document in 2011 EC
1. Active participation in restructuring the SVM to College of Vet Med to enhance the quality of education and effective delivery of the veterinary service
2. Worked as a Promotion and Scholarship committee for SVM
3. Coordinator MSc program in Veterinary Microbiology
4. Coordinator MSc program in animal Biotechnology
5. Served as Mentor and provide tutorial for female students. Etc…