Biodata of Professor Esayas Kebede Gudina
E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Professor Esayas Kebede Gudina, is a professor of Medicine at the Department of Internal Medicine, Institute of Health, Jimma University
Prof. Esayas Kebede Gudina was born on 14 February 1981 in Nunu Qumba District, Wellega, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia. He attended grade 1 to 8 at Nunu Qumba Elementary and Junior Secondary School, and high school education at Arjo Secondary School; formerly Mekonnen Demisew Senior Secondary School.
Prof. Esayas Kebede Gudina joined Jimma University in 2000 and graduated with degree of doctor of medicine (MD) in 2006. He rejoined Jimma University in 2007 for residence training and graduated with specialty in Internal Medicine in 2010. He studied PhD at Center for International Health at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany and graduated with PhD in Medical Research-International Health in 2016. His dissertation title was “Assessment of treatment strategies in acute bacterial meningitis in Ethiopia’ and his dissertation book is archived in Electronic Theses of LMU Munich (urn:nbn:de:bvb:19-201152). Prof. Esayas has also attained postgraduate diploma from London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom. Besides, he has obtained multiple short-term trainings from national and international institutions related to his areas of specialty and research interests.
Since joining Jimma University School of Medicine in December 2006 as a general practitioner, Prof. Esayas has been serving Jimma University Institute of Health at various academic capacities for the last 13 years.
To list some of his academic contributions:
- Offering courses and supervising undergraduate and postgraduate health sciences students during their clerkship years
- Supervising postgraduate students in clinical medicine, clinical pharmacy, and microbiology both at Jimma University and abroad during their terminal research works.
- Serving as academic quality assurance and examination committee for department of Internal Medicine
- Acting as external examiner for final year undergraduate medical students and internal medicine residents at various medical schools in Ethiopia
- Preparing license examination questions for medical graduate in Ethiopia
- Serving as examiner for residence matching examination in Ethiopia
- Participated in the development of roadmap for PhD programs in the Jimma University Institute of health
- Serial Trainer since 2016 for Management of Sexually Transmitted Infections, HIV/AIDS Care and Treatment Capacity Building
- Development of antimicrobial stewardship program implementation guideline for Jimma Medical Center
- Development of COVID-19 treatment guideline for Jimma Medical Center
- Development of standard operating procedures for clinical services in the department of Internal Medicine
- Participated in reviewing Standard Treatment Guidelines for General Hospitals in Ethiopia
- Participated in the development of National Childhood and Adolescent Cancer Control Plan of Ethiopia
On top of his engagement in teaching, research and community services duties, Professor Esayas has served as Medical Director of Jimma University Specialized Hospital between 2012 and 2014 and as Chief Executive Director of Jimma University Institute of Health between 2017 and 2019.
During his leadership as medical director and CEO of Jimma Medical Center, Prof. Esayas has helped the hospital implement various reforms as per the Ethiopian Hospital Services Transformation Guidelines (EHSTG). To mention some of these, he led the initiative to implement Nursing Care Standards, established Clinical Governance and Quality Improvement, and applied Healthcare Financing for the first time at the hospital. He also helped Jimma University Institute of Health align its management structures with management guidelines for university hospitals in Ethiopia.
Apart from this, Prof. Esayas has been serving in various standing committees of the University such as member and vice chair of Jimma University Institute of Health Institutional Review Board. He is currently serving as a chair of scientific advisory council for COVID-19 control at Jimma Emergency Operation Center.
Prof. Esayas has very strong track record in research and project coordination and management. Since the past eight years, he is able to make tremendous contributions in attracting projects and partners that have promoted health research and healthcare quality improvement endeavors. Findings from some of his research projects have led to change in the way adult patients with bacterial meningitis and pneumonia are treated at Jimma Medical Center. Moreover, through the grant he won from Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung (EKFS), Germany, he helped improve diagnostic bacteriology at the then Jimma University Specialized Hospital, now Jimma Medical Center.
For over the last five years, he has won multiple local and international grants that helped him actively work on containment of antimicrobial resistance and healthcare associated infections at Jimma Medical Center.
Some of the research projects he successfully completed are:
- Improvement of Diagnostics, Treatment and Management for Patients at Jimma University Medical Center through Antibiotic Resistance Surveillance, Antibiotic Stewardship, and Diagnostic Process Optimization; funded by ESTHER Program University and Hospital Partnerships in Africa by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development – as PI (2017-2019)
- Helicobacter pylori infection, diagnostic methods and its nutrition and health outcomes in Ethiopia; funded through JU thematic research project – as PI (2018-2019)
- Implementing antimicrobial stewardship program at Jimma University Medical center: Operational research project to prevent the occurrence of antimicrobial resistance; funded through JU thematic research project – as Co-PI (2018-2019)
- Etiologies and clinical characteristics of neonatal sepsis in neonates admitted to neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) of Jimma University Medical Center, South West Ethiopia; funded by Network Fund, Center for International Health, Germany – as PI (2018)
- Improving diagnostics of infectious diseases in Ethiopia (IDID); funded by Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Norway – as local PI (2017)
- Assessment of Treatment strategies in acute bacterial meningitis in Ethiopia; funded by Else Kröner-Fresenius-Stiftung (EKFS), Germany – as PI (2013-2015)
- Advanced Clinical Monitoring (ACM) among cohorts of HIV patients in seven teaching hospitals in Ethiopia; funded by Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), USA – as Co-investigator (2009-2013)
Thus far, Prof. Esayas has authored and co-authored a total of 38 peer reviewed publications in the areas of his specialization and research interests. Of these, 32 of them were produced since his last promotion to rank of Associate Professor. Besides, he has authored and co-authored more 20 scholarly papers presented on national and international conferences (published/ unpublished in proceedings).
Prof. Esayas is currently conducting multiple operational clinical researches including clinical trials in both infectious and cardiovascular diseases.
His ongoing research projects include:
- An Open Label Study to Assess the Efficacy, Safety, Tolerability and Pharmacokinetics of a Single Dose of MMV390048 in Adult Patients with Acute, Uncomplicated Plasmodium vivax or falciparum Malaria Monoinfection over a 35 Day Period – Clinical Trial (as PI)
- INVICTUS (INVestIgation of rheumatiC AF Treatment Using vitamin K antagonists, rivaroxaban or aspirin Studies) – Clinical Trial (as local Co-PI)
- Comprehensive Organized Multi-centre Bioinformatics-based Action for Tackling AMR in sub-Saharan Africa (COMBAT AMR in Africa) – Interventional research (as PI)
- BCG Vaccination and TB exposure (Latent TB infection) – Do they help the fight against COVID-19? – as PI
- Sero-prevalence survey for COVID-19 for COVID-19 in health professionals and community in Jimma and Addis Ababa – as PI
- Assessment of SARS CoV2 RNA from municipal waste water to monitor viral prevalence in the community, in Ethiopia – as Co-PI
Honors and awards
Prof. Esayas received multiple honors and awards as a postgraduate student and as staff member. Some of them are:
- Selected as best resident of the year and chief resident in the department of Internal medicine during his residency years (2007-2009)
- Awarded for best oral presentation at JU 10th Annual Research Conference and the 9th Global Exchange Network, April 2019, Jimma.
- Scholarship at London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK for postgraduate diploma training (2011)
- PhD Scholarship from Center for International Health at Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Germany (2012 – 2016)
- Travel award to participant on Global Public Health Course at LMU, Munich, Germany (May 2015)
- Global Health Travel Awards to participate on Keystone Symposium on HIV Pathogenesis in Denver Colorado (March 2020)
- TDR Clinical Research and Development Fellowships
Additionally, he has been serving as member of editorial board of Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences (EJHS), and as reviewer for several national and international journals such as Ethiopian Journal of Health Sciences, PLOS ONE, Journal of Saudi Heart Association, Journal of Tropical Medicine & International Health, and BMC Public Health among many.
Besides serving as consultant physician at Jimma Medical Center, catchment area public hospitals, and private health facilities, Prof. Esayas has participated in various community service activities.
Some of the community services contributed by Prof. Esayas are:
- Chair of scientific advisory council for COVID-19 control at Jimme Emergency Operation Center
- Member, advisory team on communicable diseases control at Oromia Regional Health Bureau
- Delivered multiple health education and consolations on COVID-19, Hypertension, Diabetes, and Tuberculosis during live transmission on Jimma Fana FM 98.1 and Jimma University Community Radio
- Involved in initiating chronic non-communicable diseases follow-up services at eight health center in Jimma Zone
- Involved in improving the delivery of essential newborn care package at Jimma Medical Center, Shinen Gibe Hospital, and health centers in Jimma area
- Served as serial trainer on sexually transmitted infections and COVID-19 for healthcare providers at Jimma Medical Center and health facilities in Jimma Zone.
- Supporting female students to improve academic performance with Gender and Youth Office of Jimma University
- Life member of Ethiopian Red cross society
- Life member of Ethiopian Public Health Association
- Member of Ethiopian society of internal medicine