Department of Mathematics
The inception of Department of Mathematics started in 1983 G.C, when Jimma Institute of Health Science (JIHS) was established under pre-medical department as one of the basic science units (Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, English, Psychology, Sociology, History, etc.), and there organized as one of the five departments (Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English) under the custody of Basic Science Program of the JIHS assigned to host all freshman students admitted yearly. Thereafter, Department of Mathematics (DoM) was one of the five establishing departments of the Faculty of Education when Jimma University was launched in Dec, 1999 which was re-established amalgamated with the mathematics unit of the then Jimma College of Agriculture, like the rest basic science departments. This department (DoM) has been offering about five courses for Jimma Institute of Technology (JiT) starting from 1997 for undergraduate students, beyond hosting its own regular mathematics students graduating at BSc level in mathematics. These courses of JiT are Applied Mathematics (I, II & III), Numerical Analysis, and Discrete Mathematics (Combinatorics and graph theory). Also DoM has been offering a course for JiT post-graduate students. Currently, it is running undergraduate programs in regular and summer. Moreover, the department has launched master’s degree program mainly in Numerical Analysis, Differential Equation and Functional Analysis for regular and summer in 2012/13. Still it is one of the strong departments in College of Natural Sciences which was established in 2009.
Objectives of the Department
The main objectives of Mathematics Department are:
- To produce qualified and competent mathematicians who are highly enrolled in teaching and learning process of the country.
- To carry out mathematical research in line with the development and needs of the country, and be a member of a research team trying to solve societal problems.
- To produce graduates with strong sense of ethics, professionalism, and the ability to succeed as both individual and team contributors and synergy.
- To introduce applications and technology transfer in mathematics for science and technology students.
- To provide consultancy and technical services to the industrial sectors and other socio-economic sectors of the country as mathematics is crucial by its nature.
- To bridge hard sciences i.e mathematics and other related applied and engineering sciences by modeling real life problems.
- Lay foundation for other related science and technology fields which need its support.
Click Here to Download General Information about Mathematics Department